Anna Taylor is setting up a super 'sports quad' for any parents who would like to help us support our sporty children at St Andrew's. Details of what the squad will do are below. If you would like to be involved please contact Anna Taylor.
Okay so you will all know St Andrews school has just achieved the Silver School Games award. This is a great achievement and it got me thinking about how we can support the school and our children with sports. All of our children love sports and it's so good for them in so many ways. I've had a think about how we, as parents, might be able to play a more proactive role in the sports side of things..
The idea is to create a Parents Sports Squad with the main aim to play a positive and supportive role to the current sports schedule. There would be a few Squad leaders - just to make things easier. It will do things like:
1. Organising extra training/practice sessions before important sporting events.
2. Create a rota for bringing snacks to matches - so it's not the same people bringing things each time
3. While at athletics carnivals (and other events), help encourage the children to be cheering on their team mates
It's a new idea, and it may take a bit of jigging, but I think it could be really useful
for our sporty children and their parents alike.
Currently, children's sporting achievements and team spirit are recognised and rewarded by the sports leaders' initiative. I would also like to provide a few Trophies for the children to work towards each year.
1. The Over & Above Trophy - awarded to any child, any age for outstanding achievements in anything during the year - the arts, music, gymnastics, karate, horse riding - anything.
2. The Sportsperson of the Year Trophy - awarded to any child in any year for outstanding achievements in any sporting events at school.
3. The Team Spirit Trophy - for any child who has shown true team spirit, worked hard, most improved etc. Obviously with my impending move I won't actually be able to contribute, but am hoping that some of you are as passionate about sport in this school as I am. Please come and see me if you would like to be involved!